March 11, 2009

I love March!

As a sports fan, I love the month of March.  You have March Madness, which really begins the last couple of weeks of February, and then you have Spring Training for baseball.  It really doesn't get any better than having those two go on at the same time.  At least, I didn't think it could get any better.

This year I've gotten into the World Baseball Classic.  Three years ago when it took place I could have cared less and I can't tell you anything that happened.  This year is different though, and last night really proved it as I found myself pulling for a baseball team from the Netherlands, who have players that I've never heard of (except Randall Simon and Sidney Ponson).  They beat The Dominican Republic, who have lots of players I've heard of (including some All-Stars and future HOFers).  They didn't just beat The Dominican Republic, they eliminated The Dominican Republic from the entire competition, they sent them home.  Check out the web page, read the rosters, love the World Baseball Classic.

The conference tournaments in basketball have been particularly good this year as well.  There have been upsets (18-16 UTChattanooga winning their tourney, Cleveland St. beating Butler to win theirs), there have been close games (a couple OT championship games), and even a first time participant (North Dakota St. in their first year of eligibility).  It's already ridiculously good and we haven't even made it to the big conference tournaments or the NCAA tournament yet.  To see about all of the tournaments, go here.

No comments: