February 8, 2009

A Reason for the Pain

So, I'm a pretty big fan of the show Lost; I watch it on a weekly basis.  For those that don't watch the show, lately it has involved inadvertant time travel.  What I mean is the people on the island are traveling back and forth through time without being able to control it.  This past week, they had gone back in time again and one of the characters came across a particularly troubling time in his past.  One of the other characters asked him why he didn't go and stop himself from doing whatever it was.  His response was this, "I needed that pain to get where I am now."

Many times we view the difficult times in our lives and wish we could go back and change them.  But those are what really made us who we are.  We either learned from those mistakes or they made us stronger people than we were before.  I can think of a few instances that I would love to go back and change in my life, but if I did that I know it would change the person that I am now.  What did you learn from a difficult time in your past?  How is God shaping you through your mistakes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think if I had waited a little longer before I married things would have been a little easier. But the pain that I have had over the last 13 years is what is making me a better person. We all have regrets but God is our hope of tomorrow