February 13, 2009

St. Valentine

An article on Wikipedia states that the first mention of a Saint Valentine was 3rd century Rome where a priest was marrying Christian couples.  At this time it was illegal to aide Christians, who were being persecuted by the Romans at the time.  The priest was arrested by Claudius II and actually gained favor with him until he tried to convert the emperor.  At that point, Claudius decided to carry out his execution.  He was beaten with stones and clubs and when that didn't work he was finally beheaded.

So how did this incident turn into what we know as Valentine's Day now?  Is it because people still want to make guys suffer like St. Valentine by forcing them to have to decide on what to get that special someone.  Personally, I think the whole "holiday" is bogus, but I can't get away with ignoring it.  I love my wife 365 days a year and I tell her every day.  The best I can do is to not fall into the trap of buying 2 dozen roses and paying $5 for a card.  Roses and chocolates and cards have killed the imagination of men everywhere (not to mention the wallets).  So, I know it's late, but do something creative and out of the ordinary for your special someone this year.

No comments: