May 23, 2008

Facts about Jordan

I thought to kill some time while Kim and I wait to hear from the Peace Corp that I would do a little series revealing facts about the two locations we could possibly go to: Jordan or Morocco. So from time to time I'll introduce some new facts. Today I'll talk about Jordan.

Area: 45,000 sq. mi.
This is just slightly larger than Ohio.

Population: Roughly 6,000,000

Capital: Amman

Countries that border: Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, West Bank, Israel

The only major bodies of water in Jordan are the Dead Sea on it's western border and the Sea of Aqaba on the southwestern tip.
It is a monarchy just like Britain, but no Queen Elizabeth or celebrity weddings, etc. Also, unlike Britain, this monarchy has power. The reigning monarchy is the head of state, the chief executive officer, and the commander-in-chief of the armed forces. So the King is like our President and the Prime Minister is kind of the Vice President...except that if the Pres dies they don't get to take over.

That's really all I've got for today since it's coming up on the end of my work day, but next I'll do the same for Morocco and then maybe in the coming weeks go into more detail on both.

1 comment:

Mobile Minded said...

As a matter of fact I saw King Abdullah of Jordan on CSPAN last week discussing foreign dependencies.