May 30, 2008

Facts about Morocco

Time to give a little info about the country of Morocco.

Area: 172,500 sq. mi.
This is just slightly larger than California.

Population: 33,757,000

Capital: Rabat

Countries that border: Algeria (to the east) and Mauritania (to the south)

The Atlantic Ocean lies on Morocco's western border and the Mediteranean Sea to the north. The Straight of Gibraltor seperates the Atlantic Ocean from the Mediteranean Sea and is only 8 miles across at it's narrowest point seperating Morocco from Spain.

It is a monarchy very similar to Jordan. The King is Mohammed VI (a very popular name in this region of the world) and has done alot to help the country grow over his 9 year rule. He created a new family code that has helped give women more rights and power.

I don't think I ever mentioned this in the post about Jordan, but their King's name is Abdullah II. Hopefully in my future posts about Jordan and Morocco I can give information about the people and sites of those countries. I am very excited to get to know more about where I'll be living for 2 years.

No comments: