May 23, 2008

Viva la Midnight

Yesterday, Kim and I had to do an awful thing. We had to make the decision to have my parents dog, Midnight, put to sleep. I'm not really a dog person...I'm not really a pet person. I like animals well enough, but they tend to get on my nerves. I did love Midnight though and it was terrible to have to do that, but it really was necessary. She had gotten out and somehow gotten into an accident that fractured her pelvis and hip. Because of her age it just wasn't worth it to go through a complicated surgery that she might not recover from.

It tore Kim up just to even be in the animal shelter for as long as we were...it brings back memories to her of when she had to put her dog, Missy, to sleep. My mom was destroyed over this, but thankfully she was not in town to see it or have to deal with it personally. It actually did upset me a little, and I wish now that we would have gone back to see her just one more time before we left.

Midnight was an 8 year-old black labrador retriever. She liked laying in the hot sun, chasing her baby sister Emma around the yard, and eating ice and slices of cheese. She was a loving dog and still was mischievious even at her age. Midnight I wish we could bury you with your fly swatter...you will be missed.

No comments: