June 24, 2008

So small...

So, the other day Kim and I were riding in the car coming home from an overnight trip to South Carolina. We had to miss church to make this trip (which we weren't too happy about), but we decided to listen to a podcast of Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle. He's easily our favorite pastor other than our own.

Mark was talking about the Resurrection, explaining it mainly to new Christians so that they had an understanding of the most important aspect of Christianity. He made the statement a good ways in that God had sent his son to the Earth to give himself as a sacrifice for us. The Christian side of me agreed, the human side of me said, "that's the craziest statement I've ever heard."

Think about the belief that there is a God and that he would send his son; it's illogical, all I can believe is what I can't see. I can't see God, therefore he doesn't exist. These were thoughts that were literally running through my head at the time. At that point, I started looking around me at how big everything was outside. I started thinking about how tiny I am compared to the grand scheme of things. It's in those moments that I absolutely cannot believe that there is not something greater than me that created the entire universe. It's impossible!

I read that a large anthill (colony) has about 10,000 ants. Think about how tiny one ant looks in this colony because of the sheer number of them. Now multiply that by 600,000 and you have an estimation of what we are like on this earth. You are just one of 6,000,000,000 people in the world. Do you feel small? Now realize that we are one just one teeny, tiny planet in the galaxy. How small do you feel now? Now realize that this galaxy is one of many galaxies in the universe. Now I hope you realize how small we are and how great God is.

No comments: