November 6, 2008

A moment in history

The United States of America has just elected their first African American president.  Regardless of what you believe, you have to admit that this is an amazing moment in history.  Most people I know didn't vote for him, but they still agree that is something they'll remember for a long time.  This is a huge step.  Does it mean that the United States no longer has issues with race?  Not a chance, but it's a step in the right direction.

Some might say that he got elected only because of the dislike for President Bush and the Republican party right now.  Some might say he only got elected because he was black.  I disagree on both parts, because John Kerry tried 4 years ago to unseat President Bush and failed, and Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Alan Keyes have all made attempts and failed.  He won because he ran a legitimate race.

If you didn't vote for Barack Obama, then please still support him as your President.  Pray for him.  Hope that he'll work with people that you agree with and do his best as the 44th President of the United States.  It's not an easy job, as many have proven before and he needs the support of everyone...not just Democrats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes this is a great time in U.S. history and I am proud that we are able to elect a black person for such a high office. There will always be hate in the world because it is not a perfect world. Now the real test if we as a nation would elect a black conservative. I do not see that happening in my life time. I see the true underdog as the conservative, the moderates have been taking over the GOP You mentioned Alan Keyes and he is by far the most conservative out there but he is not a team player so therefore he does not get to play with the big guys. I have been a lover of political races but this year I lost my desire and I do not know if I will ever care to see another. I thought I had the answer to voting and it turns out several of my christian brothers and sisters told me I was wrong. So therefore it does not matter who you vote for just vote however one of the things that I have come to understand it is our purpose in life to lift up our elected officials no matter who they are, I started doing that with 43 and I will do it for 44