July 7, 2008

2008 MLB All-Losers

It's All-Star time and as usual (like the changing of the seasons) it's time to complain about the selections. My complaint this year isn't about the fan voting, although with the AL it was near atrocious, it's with the bench selections. Well, one in particular...Jason Varitek. Those who know me well, know that I'm a Red Sox fan, and obviously a Jason Varitek fan (he's a good player), and obviously a Terry Francona fan (two World Series titles after an 86 year drought says it all), but this is blind favoritism.

Joe Mauer, the starting catcher is batting .325; Dionner Navarro, a back-up catcher (hopefully the second option) is batting .318; Jason Varitek (hopefully not an option) is batting .218. One hundred points less than the other back-up catcher...that's awful!

There were several viable options for catcher other than Varitek. How about Pudge Rodriguez? The man is batting in the high .200s and is still one of the best defensive catchers in the game. Or AJ Pierzynski? I know people (fans and players alike) don't seem to like him, but he's a pretty good ballplayer and has a decent batting average.

In the end it really doesn't matter to me because I'm a fan of the NL and I'm praying that this is the year the torturously long losing streak to the AL ends.

No comments: