July 23, 2008

Bad Taste

I was not going to orginally do a post about this today, I had something else in mind, but I can only post one rant per day and this one is most important to me right now. Five things I hate right now.

1. People saying things like "the Republicans..." or "the Democrats..." It's stereotyping and if I must say so pretty demeaning to my intelligence. It's like I'm being told, you're not smart enough to figure out who to support so we're just going to tell you that all Democrats are evil and mean and all Republicans are holy or vice versa.

2. Little underhanded elementary school-level insults such as calling the Democratic Presidential nominee B. Hussein Obama. Making a comment like that serves no purpose other than to feed into people's fears that not only are they running the risk of electing a guy with a Muslim name, but one who shares the name of the evil dictator from Iraq that we spent a decade trying to take down. It happens on both sides, but this is the only one that's fresh in my mind because I've heard it so much lately.

3. People from one political party assuming that their idea is absolutely right especially when it comes to the debate over oil. I see nothing wrong with drilling, so long as you understand that it's not the final solution to all of our problems. And since when was conserving a bad idea? I think the title of Jim Wallis' book pretty much sums up my sentiments, "Why the Right gets it wrong, and the Left doesn't get it."

4. Talking heads, because they are purveyors every single one of these things I complain about. Not to mention most of the time they are pretty obnoxious and pompous.

5. Politics

I am proud to have grown up in this country, and I know how blessed we are to have the right to vote. I take pride in that right, but it's hard to take pride in the politics of this country. This year, more than ever I'm dreading the decision I'm going to have to make in November. I pray that God will reveal to my heart what person I'm supposed to vote for, but as it's looking right now, I don't think he wants me to vote for either of the popular candidates.

No comments: