July 21, 2008

Collecting History

I'm not a big coin collector, actually I'm not a coin collector at all, but I have been collecting some coins for the past 9 or 10 years. Obviously, you can guess that I've been collecting the state quarters that have been in circulation since January 1999. I just find them so fascinating to look at and I'm also the type of person who likes to get complete sets of stuff. As I type this, I have 46 of the 48 released quarters (Alaska and Hawaii have yet to be released).

Now, not only am I able to enjoy the designs on the coins, but I'm also able to learn the history of what the coins depict. On Saturday, Kimberly picked up a book titled Pocket Full of History for me from the library. The author tells how the designs were decided on for each state and then gives the background and history of each design.

For instance, I learned about Ceasar Rodney's famous ride 80 miles while sick to ensure that Delaware voted on independence. I learned why Pennsylvania and Maryland are called the Keystone State and the Old Line State respectively. I learned that peaches are very important to Georgia even though they grow more Vadalia Onions. I learned why South Carolina obsesses over that stupid Palmetto and gained a respect for it. I learned that the depiction of "Washington Crossing the Delaware" is inaccurate, but famous nonetheless especially in New Jersey. I learned of New Hampshire's Man in the Mountain, that now has crumbled and fallen apart.

I learned about why The Charter Oak of Connecticut is actually called the Charter Oak. I learned a little bit more about the history of The Statue of Liberty, the Battle of Lexington & Concord, the Jamestown Colony, and Orville and Wilbur's first flight from the states of New York, Massachusetts, Virginia, and North Carolina. Lastly, I've learned why a 100 year old recreational sail boat is so important to the state of Rhode Island.

I have only read about the first 13 states, but I've had quite the lesson thus far and I look forward to learning more. Check it out if you ever get the chance.

No comments: