January 11, 2009

Curveballs

I've always heard the phrase, "sometimes life throws you curveballs" and took it to mean that sometimes life gives you something that you're not expecting and it stinks.  But lately I've been thinking about that, and as a baseball fan I don't think that's what it means.

A curveball is a pitch that when you see it initially you think it's a bad pitch.  Your gut reaction is to bail out because it looks like you're going to get hit or to not swing because you think it's a lousy pitch.  But what good players know, is if you recognize it for what it is and hang in there, you can hit it out of the park.

I think that's really the situation that Kimberly and I are at right now.  We're getting a big fat curve and our initial reaction is fear of a bad pitch, but I think we should just hang in there.

No comments: