January 8, 2009

The End of an Era

So word has just come across the wire that the Red Sox and John Smoltz are close to sealing a one year deal.  While I'm glad for the Red Sox, I have more of an attachment to the Atlanta Braves and this news saddens me like no other news...probably like the day I found out the Braves let Dale Murphy go to the Phillies.  I see this as the end of an era though.  These are no longer the Braves of my youth.

Gone is:
Ted Turner
John Schuerholz
David Justice
"Neon" Deion
Terry Pendleton
Ron Gant
Greg Maddux
Tom Glavine - Technically he's back, but I think the Mets just returned his body like the alien abductees in The X-Files.
John Rocker
Andruw Jones
Rafael Furcal
Mike Hampton - Oh wait, I'm glad he's gone
Fred "Crime Dog" McGriff
Vinny Castilla (twice)
Francisco "the one hit wonder" Cabrera - I made that nickname up just now
The Revolving door of closers (Wohlers, Merker, Stanton, Rocker, Lightenberg, etc.)
Ryan Klesko
Rafael Belliard
Mark Lemke

I suppose Chipper Jones is the next to go since he's a free agent after this season, but hopefully since they don't have any other players they can at least afford him for a few more years.  I feel my childhood slowly slipping down the drain.

2 comments:

Mobile Minded said...

This is my favorite post yet! WOW! The MEMORIES!

Yeah....you didn't know that you complete secretive projects for your company, you're moving to Jordan to because the Secret Service needs your "assistance" in completing "Missional Work" there. You're like the 007 of IBM...their secret weapon...NOW THAT's INTERESTING..

And ---> I'm trying to drive traffic to your blog!

GO GATORS! (I can't believe I just wrote that!)

Mobile Minded said...

i forgot one thing....

i met Francisco "the one hit wonder" Cabrera about two months following "the hit" that scored "SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!" Sid Bream...Got his autograph. I should sell it on E Bay!