August 22, 2008

Mind bottling and other oddities


This post is dedicated to some strange things I've heard people say (or type). Over the years I've heard lots of people say or write some pretty stupid stuff, but most of that has to do with their lack of education. This post will only attack the "educated" individuals.

1. The other night while watching the Olympics, I actually heard Bob Costas say, "it's just so mind-bottling." Thankfully, I was at my parents and had the advantage of DVR to listen to it repeatedly. He really did say this. Bob, seriously!

Chazz (Will Ferrell): "Mind-bottling, isn't it?"
Jimmy (Jon Heder): "Did you just say mind-bottling?"
Chazz (Will Ferrell): "Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle."
This is from Blades of Glory if you didn't know, but you should.

2. While reading the glorious newspaper known as the Durham Herald-Sun I noticed this statement: "So and so noticed it as soon as they had driven passed the intersection." This is not the only time I've seen this used in this context. I was terrible in English, and I especially hated grammar, maybe that was because stuff like this was so obvious to me. These are journalists writing this stuff, they have degrees from big time colleges!

3. Lastly, I don't have a reference or direct quote for this one, mainly because I have heard it used in so many places by so many people. It is probably the most irritating of the misquoted phrases I've heard. People saying "vice-A-versa" instead of "vice versa." I know it seems petty and it shouldn't bother so much, but it does, because people should know.

If you say these things either because you think they are funny or because you really don't know better...please for the love of all things, don't say them around me.

No comments: