August 27, 2008

There is no I in TEAM

How come this phrase is only really used in reference to sports? Why can't it be used in the real world as well? For instance, when an employee in a company is doing something that directly hinders that company from growing and being sucessful. A sports reference of this would be when the Texas Rangers were criticized for paying Alex Rodriguez $25 million dollars a year. With that equating to 1/4 of the teams payroll, it prevented them from getting the other players they required to be successful. Business is the same way, I believe. Some examples:

IBM CEO: $1.8 million

GM CEO: $8.5 million

Ford CEO: $39 million (I don't know if this is his actual salary, because I couldn't find that, however this is how much he made the first 4 months on the job with incintives, etc.)

I picked these three companies because they are notorious for their layoffs in recent years, heck IBM has always been notorious for layoffs. I will say that I read that GM's CEO cut his salary in half, but still that's $4.25 million a year. There are thousands of hardworking individuals who are probably scrapping by on what these companies pay them, and they are the ones who get hurt. It's not right.

No comments: