October 22, 2008

Pro-Life voting

This is a tough thing for me to write, it's something I've struggled with for quite some time now.  You have Candidate A who is pro-choice and Candidate B who is pro-life.  In the past I would automatically say that I'm voting for the pro-life candidate, but recently that's not necessarily the case.  What happens when I disagree with so many things that the pro-life candidate is offering?  I have to consider what the pro-life candidate is doing to change abortion.  In my opinion abortion is never going to be outlawed and I don't really think that's the answer anyway.

I don't think abortion is going to ever be changed by politicians.  Nevermind that I don't have a whole lot of faith in politicians to do anything, I believe abortion is a personal issue that needs to be changed in the way of a movement, not a bill that's passed.  I think people's minds need to be changed not the law, otherwise you can change the law, but people will still find a way to have an abortion.  I would rather vote for a candidate that I agree with on most issues, but disagree on one and work personally to change that one, than to vote for someone I mostly disagree with, but agree with on one.

I know this sounded confusing, but it made sense to me.  Please, let's work to lower and hopefully one day eliminate abortion, because the most powerful things in this country come from the people, not the government.  If you don't believe me, check out New Orleans.

No comments: