September 12, 2008

The Durham Bulls

The Durham Bulls are my one physical connection to baseball here in Durham.  I can go see them anytime I want, unlike my Atlanta Braves (not that I'd want to see them right now) or Boston Red Sox.  Since becoming a Triple-A team back in 1998 they have not disappointed me...last night they were very close to doing that.

Last night, Kim and I went to what could possibly be the last Durham Bulls game I ever attend; this is a very sad realization to me.  Durham has had a minor league baseball team off and on since the early part of the last century, but the current Durham team returned to the city in 1980.  This was just a couple of years before I came into the world and they have been a part of my life ever since.  

Growing up, my dad would take me to games at the tiny Durham Athletic Park to see a team that wasn't very good, but the experience was great.  In later years, I got to see such players as Ron Gant, Chipper and Andruw Jones, Ryan Klesko, John Rocker, Kevin Millwood, and Wonderful Monds.  When they became a triple-A team I joined the club as a batboy for 2 years and got to see things first hand.  Now, as a married man I've been able to introduce Kim (who admittedly doesn't like baseball) to the Durham Bulls.  It's been a great experience, I feel like a part of the team.

Anyway, last night the Bulls were playing game 3 of a 5 game series against the Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankees for the Governor's Cup.  The Bulls lost the first two games, blowing a lead in the 9th of the first one and giving up a run in the bottom of the 13th in the other to lose 1-0.  Last night, after leading most of the night, they gave up a run in the top of the 8th to tie the game 2-2 and I was getting worried.  They were playing sloppy and swinging big (and missing) when up to bat.  But in the bottom of the 9th with a man on first, Nathan Haynes lined a double off the centerfield wall bringing home the winning run.  It was a joyous night for the Durham Bulls, because they stayed alive and get to play at least one more game this year.

Lets Go Bulls!  Get us that Championship!

No comments: